Monday, March 17, 2008

Sunday in Waikiki































































The pictures from top to bottom, left to right:
1. group of dancers from Japan
2. hula dancers
3. traditional dancers, men and women, from Japan
4. Chinese lion dancers
5. 5 mascots for the Beijing Olympics
6. Korean dancers (from Korean association in Hawaii)
7. represents a god in Japan (can't remember the name)
8. a lantern mikoshi

I woke up this morning thinking it was going to be like any other Sunday, you know, a little exercising, breakfast watching the water and the people out surfing, kayaking, swimming and maybe even sailing. The marina's right across the street, there's a closed-in lagoon next to that and then a beach protected by a reef or breakwater in the park up the ways a little. So early in the morning and I can already see people out and about. It's quieter at this time as there aren't many cars out yet but it sure picks up quickly as people realize it's going to be another sunny day.

I meandered about the apartment for a bit, I think to procrastinate about going for a run. My days off are the only days I think about running since I walk to and from work. Also, it's too hot in the evening and by the time it's cool enough, it's too dark. Not that I don't feel safe, I just don't know my way around well enough to go around in the dark. So I go off running along Waikiki beach and I find a path that has stations along the way where you can do exercises like circuit training. It's sort of similar to what they have on the chip path in Manhattan Beach except those are all in one place and these are spread out. Kind of cool...I'll have to try it out next time.

Running along the beach also gave me the opportunity to experience a church service Hawaiian style! It was on the beach, where I sat on a mat, watched a woman hula dance during worship, enjoyed the warm sun on my body and a cool breeze blowing. I mention this because a friend of mind asked me if I had found a church. When I replied to her, I hadn't but now I found one. It was very easy-going, relaxed where the minister worse a Hawaiian shirt and shorts and sandals, actually crocs. (As far as the Hawaiian shirt goes, I've seen a lot of people wearing them as their business casual attire. Both men and women wearing the Hawaiian print.)

In the afternoon, I went to the Hawaii Convention Center where there was a performance stage, craft fair and tables where you could try your hand at different activities. This was all about the Honolulu Festival which was a celebration honoring the close relationship between the Asian people and Hawaii. Of course, I was late so I barely had time to walk around. I noticed that most of the performers, craft and activity tables were related to the Japanese culture. I guess that's because of the huge influence that the Japanese culture and people have on Hawaii. Later on, I watched the parade down a major street in Waikiki. There were over 80 floats/organizations in the parade, many of the people having come from Japan. There were many hula groups from Hawaii and Japan, dancers, Chinese lion dancers, a Chinese delegation to honor the Beijing Olympics with the mascots, people representing the many tribes of Taiwan, ,a group from Fukua, China, aboriginal dancers from Australia and Korean people representing the associations in Hawaii. The last part of the parade were the various mikoshis which are portable shrines to house the gods. They ranged from small to very large. To top it off, it rained for about 10 minutes, most of it was a sprinkle but there was about 5 minutes where it was a good dousing. Fortunately, it was near the end of the parade.

All in all a great day...got to enjoy some new experiences, the sun, the rain and an attempt to get this body into shape. If it wasn't for this appetite of mine and the love of food, then I'd be seeing that six pack instead of feeling like I'm carrying it around in my belly! And I don't even drink beer! Oh, well, I can only hope that this great weather will continue to entice me.

How was your day?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Helen,
Sounds like you are taking advantage of this assignment. I am glad that you are enjoying the weather, the entertainment and all of that great food. There's a small breakfast place in Lanai (I think) called Boots and Kimo. I think that's the name of the area but it's on the east side of the island. Anyhow...got to try the macadamian nut pancakes (if you like macadamia nuts). There's usually a line and the place is extremely small so you might want to order out. You'll probably have to hitch a ride or take a cab to get there but it's worth it. Take care, Jen