Saturday, March 1, 2008

1st day in Paradise

Well, the last day in L.A. was hurried and chaotic, as usual for me, leaving some things to the last minute. My roommates have been great in helping me out as I prepared to leave and when I'm gone. I'm going to miss seeing them, laughing with and at them as I will with all my friends in the L.A. area. They're like my family as my parents, brother, sister-in-law and nephew are so far away. Why am I going even further away? It's for that last adventure before I settle down closer to them (crossing fingers so plans don't veer too much).

The flight was delayed by 45 minutes and by the time I got my bags, picked up the rental car and got to my new place, it was 9pm Hawaii time (11pm CA timet). I was tired from the trip and the lack of sleep the night before from packing. It was hard to see my surroundings since it was at night, but I could see that I had an ocean view and I was close to the ocean.

The next day I awoke early, still on CA time, and it was raining! It ended up raining on and off all day. From my lanai (balcony), I could see the ocean and the west part of the island, in between the tall buildings. I'm on the 41st floor so I have a pretty good view. Being on the west side, I can imagine what a sunset I'll be able to see! I had to go grocery shopping, prices for some items, like produce, are more expensive, but some items are comparable to CA. I plan on eating healthy while trying to get fitter by taking advantage of the great weather and locale. I did take a walk to see how far away work is...certainly doable. Sun didn't start to set until about 630pm.

Monday morning I awoke with excitement, anticipation and a little nervousness. The sun didn't rise until about 630am. Walked to work and got my blood pumping for the day. The orientation was a little overwhelming, with computer documentation, different wings of the hospital, new names to remember but I'm sure I can handle it. There are 2-3 travellers in PT and OT, almost half of their staff.

Broke in my feet with my first blister, having walked more in the last 2 days than in the last 6 months total. Am going to check out the exercise area, pool, sauna and spa sometime over the next week or so. There's 2 major shopping mall less than a 10min walk from where I am, I can see the bigger one from my lanai...I can see my hard earned dollars already flying away!

So who's going to be the first to visit me!!!

2 comments:

Joanne said...

I love Hawaii...my favorite island..KAUAI!! Im so jealous!!! love the view, love the pics

Anonymous said...

What pretty pictures Helen. You sound excited and happy. You might just have to stay longer than the 3 months! Thursday is my surgery I told you about at the party. I cut my hair really short, I like it. I feel free!!I'm dating someone from the Airforce and about to retire soon. Work is fine, I'm trying to get Melissa to be my OTR consultant. Time to get something off the stove, talk later!!!Kathy