Tuesday, April 1, 2008

It's been awhile...but here are some thoughts

Ok, so it's been awhile since I've written here. But you know, I've got things to do, people to see, places to go...not really, just being a little lazy! I have been busy working on the past two weekends, the first one to cover for someone who had to take a sick leave and the second one was scheduled. I still get weekdays off for working the weekends, but, somehow it just isn't the same as a Saturday and Sunday. It really is a whole mentality shift.

Actually, nothing exciting has been going on here. I've had to do my taxes and finally sent it off last week so that took some of my time. I'm not sure where the time goes when you don't have any obligations...geez, I can't remember what i did on my days off! Have I got early alzheimer's or is just the laidback, slow Hawaiian lifestyle. I thought California was slow after having lived in New York but Hawaii is even slower. I'm realizing that I'm not as slow, as in laidback, not in thought processing!, as I thought. I'm whizzing by people on my walk to work, amazing with my short little legs!!

I've noticed a few things during the last few weeks. Hawaiian shirts, long hair on men and tattoos are quite common here. Hawaiian shirts or aloha shirts as they're known here are common as work shirts. At the hospital, there are not a lot of ties and buttoned up shirts, rather there's aloha shirts everywhere. I didn't realize that there could be so many patterns and colors of palm trees, coconuts and flowers! The therapists aren't the ones wearing them, we should be so lucky, but it's the office people...not sure if it's the upper echelons but it's defintely some of the administrative staff.

There are a lot of men of all ages with long hair, not unruly, but neatly tied in a ponytail, along the lines of my former roommate. I've seen them all over the place, in the shopping malls, on the streets and even in the hospital. As far as tattoos go, I've seen them on people of all ages, even older women, who are some of the last people I would have expected to have one. I'm not being discriminatory, but where else but on Hawaii do you see women in their 50s and 60s with a tattoo while wearing an aloha dress and walking alongside a husband with long hair?

Lastly, since I've had so much time on my hands, i've succumbed to reality tv! So which one is it...Big Brother, Survivor, Dancing with the Stars, American Idol, The Bachelor, Deal or No Deal? You guess!

Aloha