Saturday, April 26, 2008



I'm lying on my couch, looking out the lanai and while it's heading towards nighttime, I can definitely see the vog. Hmm, vog, what's that? Only in Hawaii do you get vog (could be elsewhere but I hadn't heard of it before until I got here)...because of the volcanoes. Similar to the smog that L.A. gets, Hawaii gets the combination of volcano and fog. The volcanoes from the Big Island are always producing lava but sometimes they produce a lot of smoke, actually sulphur dioxide, which is really bad for those with respiratory problems. This past week, the Volcanoes National Park was actually closed, because of the vog. I'm not sure if they told people to leave the area but I would imagine that some people aren't outside right now.

Last weekend, I listened to the Kokua Festival, a whole lot of bands. The headliners were Dave Matthews and Jack Johnson, a local guy. I say listen, because, I was with a bunch of people in the park just outside the concert venue. We could still here them but couldn't see them. However, we were able to barbecue and eat, eat and eat.

This past was uneventful but I did have to start thinking about where I'm going to next. I've got 4 weeks left on the island, planned to be off for 3 weeks as I get more organized with what I'm taking in my car and then vacation in Vancouver with my family. I also needed time to get a license so I had to figure out where I was going to next soon. A position near Anchorage came up but the timing wasn't right, they couldn't wait, so I guess it wasn't meant to be! I interviewed with a hospital in Pueblo, CO for an acute assignment and a private clinic in Tacoma, WA. As tough as it was, since they both wanted me, who wouldn't ;), I chose to go to Tacoma for the outpatient/hand assignment. In addition, it's close to Vancouver, so I can see my aunts and cousins a little more for the time I'm there as well as the Seattle and Portland areas, Columbia Gorge, Mt. Hood, Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, Puget Sound/Olympic Peninsula, etc. I've wanted to see it so I'm looking forward to it. As a result, I've just spent the last 24 hrs, minus the few hours of sleep, trying to get the paperwork for the WA OT license. A little stressful, to say the least!

Have a good weekend!

No comments: