Sunday, August 24, 2008

Seattle


During Dasha's last weekend, we took a day trip into Seattle. There's an express bus from a nearby park and ride that takes us right downtown, much easier than trying to drive and find parking there. We walked around Pike's Public Market where it's like one big gigantic farmer's market. There's the infamous fish throwing, only when someone buys a big fish though. I had a sample of two types of smoked salmon. My gosh, they were yummy. I bought some to bring to my family in a couple of weeks (it lasts as long as it stays in the fridge). We walked around Seattle to the original, huge REI store and then the ex-officio store which closed shortly before we got there. Bummer! All in all, it was a great day.

The next weekend, I drove to Vancouver to spend time with my aunt and to meet up with a friend from L.A., Midori, an O.T. I used to work with. My aunt took me to Grouse Mountain for a hike, that ended up being like a trek through the jungle. Should have brought my machete to cut through the branches/bushes as the people I was with seemed to have lost the trail. Grouse mountain was cool though, it had a lumberjack show, two orphaned grizzlies that the park has been raising for the last several years, a free ride on the ski lift from which you can see Vancouver below. The tram that brings us up/down gave us some pretty good views of the city as well. There's a trail from the parking lot below to the top of Grouse mountain, called Grouse Grind, which you can walk/run, timed if you want. Maybe next time!

I met my friend, Midori, the next day. Wouldn't you know it, my phone battery died and I didn't bring a charger. Fortunately, the coffee place was nice enough to let me use their phone...do you know how hard it is to find a pay phone anymore! Midori lives in downtown Vancouver, in a great apartment with a huge deck, only a 20 minute walk to Granville Island, on a pathway that runs along the waterfront. I saw people biking, running, walking on the pathway. Granville Island has alot of local artist shops, a farmer's market and places to eat. Midori took me to a renowned fish and chips place which lived up to its reputation. Later, she drove us to Stanley Park where we could see Canada Place across the water, see Lions Bay bridge, the native totem poles and just outside the park, one of the 2010 Olympic symbols. As expensive as it is, Vancouver is definitely a great place to live. There's so much to do and see there.

No comments: