Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The end of 2008

I can't believe how fast the past month has flown by. I finished up my assignment in North Carolina, flew home to Canada for the holidays and then off to the greater White North, that's Alaska! I'll get to that last part later but let's see how my last few weeks in NC panned out.

The weekend after GA was my birthday and it was uneventful. I didn't even go out to celebrate, had a mellow evening at home. I guess I was exhausted from all the travelling around I had been doing...it was nice to be home for a change. The people at work did put on a celebration for all of us who had a December birthday and there were 4 of us. One of the techs made this fabulous hat which I wore all day. However, one patient commented that it was hard to take me seriously with it on!

The following weekend I was on the road again, this time to Charleston, SC. It's a lovely city with a alot of history which includes playing a part in the Civil War. There were still cobblestone streets, horse drawn carriages that you could ride and an open building market that was 3 blocks long. I walked around the downtown area and along the shore but not for very long as it was cold. It did warm up on the day I was returning to Jacksonville. I had heard of this 2-3 mile bridge that spanned from downtown Charleston to Mt. Pleasant on which people could walk, run or bike across. However, I had heard about it late morning of the day I was leaving and while I did walk across about 3/4 mile across, I ended up returning to my car as it was getting late. If I'd had more time I would have gone across and back...you know how I love a challenge like that! As I was driving across the bridge to get out of dodge, I could see for miles (it was a clear sunny day) and wished I had heard of this walk before. Oh, well, c'est la vie!

During the last week of work, the rehab dept. had a Christmas party. There was a gift exchange (the one where you can pick from the pile or steal from someone else, etc), plenty of food, parting gifts from the dept to me (which I thought was very touching) and I took plenty of pictures. This picture is with me wearing my birthday hat and riding a "horse" that we had built for a TBI pt who liked riding horses.
Before I knew it, I was done working my last week in NC and it was time to pack up my things and organize it in such a way that I would be bringing my winter apparel to Canada and ultimately Alaska. It took several packing, unpacking and redos before I finally settled on 2 big suitcases, a carry-on and my computer bag. I barely got under the weight limit with my checked bags at the airport but boy were my carry-ons heavy! I had to think about what I would need over the next few months and be sure to bring that along...most importantly, was the paperwork to do my taxes early in 2009.

I was fortunate that a friend offered to drive me to the airport and keep my car for me while I was in AK. I know it's in good hands and will be well care for. I said my goodbyes to those I was leaving behind and flew off into what was coming next (after a most enjoyable holiday with my family)

Hope everyone had a safe holiday and a good start to 2009

No comments: