Saturday, September 13, 2008

windy Oregon

Labour Day weekend was definitely not laborious. It was fun, whirlwind and definitely windy. I went to visit friends that I knew from CA, actually, I worked with her and met her husband before they left to live in OR. Since that move, they've had 2 beautiful boys. They live in the Columbia Gorge area, where windsurfers and kiteboarders are aplenty due to the high winds that go through that area. Where they live is also the beginning of the high desert, so the landscape becomes more barren and brown. From their house, you can see the tip of Mt. Adams in WA and just up the street atop a hill, Mt. Hood can be seen. The sky is bluer and clearer than further west. It's definitely not a thriving metropolis but you can certainly buy a huge house for a decent price.

On my way there, I took the scenic Columbia River byway and stopped at a few vista points to get a better view of the area. We saw the international gravity sport association (IGSA) championships which were basically grown men and women longobarding (like a luge) or skateboarding down this hill that's curvy and somewhat steep. Talk about the need for speed! The day I left to return to WA, we drove to this lodge that is up high on the mountain where the air was cold, the cloud cover hid the summit and there was snow on the ground. It was pretty cool to see people skiing in Sept.

This was my only trip to OR. I had originally planned to see the area around Bend, OR and coastal OR but I think after all the travelling I've done, I need to stay at home to get a few things done and relax a bit. I started packing up and organizing things to get ready for my next move. I'm trying to get in touch with people along the way out to NC. You know, places to go, people to see and all that jazz!

No comments: